Sunday, June 26, 2016

DB Reviews- Independence Day Resurgence

Image courtesy of the web.

So, after 20 long years, we finally get a sequel to one of the world's most famous sci fi movies ever made! Is it worth seeing? Oh yeah! But, is it as good as the original film? Oh heck no! Before I go on with this review, I warn you! If you haven't seen this film yet, then stop reading this review and go see it before you read!

If you haven't seen the original film (another film I highly suggest you see), then you may be a bit confused with the plot. You won't know what the characters are talking about when they say the War of 1996! That's why I suggest you see the original before seeing this film.

This film makes tons of nods to the original, from the storyline to the scenes themselves. The story is a continuation of the plot of the original film. It takes place 20 years after the events of the original (which the characters in this film call the War of 1996). I thought that was a cool idea because it fits the timeline in the real world, since the original film came out 20 years ago! Since then, the people of that Earth used the alien tech they found in the original film to form the ESD, or earth space defense, or something like that. With that, the people managed to transform the Earth into a futuristic world, much like the worlds in Tomorrowland and the Terminator. I liked that a lot!

The tagline in the poster says "We had 20 years to prepare. So did they." I thought that tagline fit this movie perfectly because, even with all that tech, the humans still had to find a way to bring down this alien threat! I have to give props to the folks who worked on the special effects for this project. They did one heck of a job giving us a bigger, badder evil alien spaceship! This thing was HUGE! They must've had to do a lot of programming and editing to get this ship to be that big! Plus, the Alien Queen reminded me of the monsters that Rita Repulsa would send down to Earth to fight the Power Rangers! I would've loved to see the Megazord fight this thing!

Even though I've been gushing on how AWESOME this film was, it pales in comparison to the original! The original set the bar very, very high when it comes to action sci fi movie standards! This film, even with all the cool action scenes, didn't come close to that bar. It didn't have Will Smith, which might be a turn off for some of the viewers of the original film, but it did have highlights of President Whitmore's speech to the troops on July 4th from the original film! I liked that speech a lot! I thought it was one of Bill Pullman's (who played President Whitmore) best lines!

Speaking of Mr. Pullman, he returned to the role in this film. I thought he was ok at best in this film because he seemed to have some trouble dealing with the aliens inside his mind. I think he was a bit crazier in this film then he was in the original and I don't think that suited him well. He did better as the President in the first film.

Another returning character was Jeff Goldblum's David Levinson. He seemed to be the same David from the original film, which I thought was good for him. Goldblum had played some memorable characters in his career, including Mr. Levinson in this franchise and his role in Jurassic Park. I don't remember his character's name in Jurassic Park, however.

This film had some new faces too. I thought the best new faces in this were Liam Hensworth and Jessie Usher. I especially liked Usher's role as Hiller's son. I think he could use more roles like this. He has a bit of potential to be the next action star in Hollywood. Hemsworth was a good fighter pilot in this movie. I think he could be the next Hollywood heartthrob.

The story had a Marvel like plot twist, announcing that the humans were allies with the aliens enemy. It was definitely a different twist then the one about the aliens consuming our natural resources in the first film. I liked this twist because I'm a Marvel fan!

I liked the inclusion of the new robot character from another planet in this film. That robot was the enemy of the aliens.  Who knows, perhaps it could get  as famous as R2-D2 or C-3PO, or maybe even BB-8, someday.

Overall, this film was AWESOME! I'm definitely picking this up when it comes out on Blu-Ray and Digital HD! I give it 4 stars overall! The plot was good and the acting was pretty good too. But the special effects are what made this movie so amazing! It doesn't beat the 1st film, but it's too good to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment